The weepiest teen romance film of the year, The Fault In Our Stars, is finally out in theaters! But the biggest fans of this best-selling novel may have noticed a few alterations in the film version of the book. Well, it would really be unwise to cram every moment of the 25-chapter book into the 125-minute movie! Because it will make you cry nonetheless. Check out some of the differences between the novel and the film below!
1. In the book, Hazel actually has a friend named Kaitlyn with whom she hasn't spoken much since she got cancer. In the film, Kaitlyn is nowhere to be found.
2. In the young novel, Gus' parents didn't let him take Hazel to the basement unsupervised; they showed her the basement and they watched a movie in the living room. But in the movie, this parental guidance is missing.
3. Gus' sisters and their banker husbands and sons were mentioned a couple of times in the novel as he undergoes cancer treatments but they didn't get a lot of screen time in the film.You might even mistake him for an only child!
4. Originally, Gus tells Hazel the line "I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you." on the plane -- not over dinner.
5. In the book, the romantic dinner was supposed to be in an outside location, overlooking beautiful elm trees on the canal. But, in Josh Boone's film version, the scene was moved inside a fancy restaurant.
6. In the novel, Augustus had an ex-girlfriend named Caroline Mathers who died of brain cancer a few years earlier. In the movie, there's no mention of Caroline.
7. Hazel didn't put the "Desperately Lonely Swing Set” up for sale in the film; she did in the book.
8. In the book, Hazel visited Isaac at the hospital after his eye surgery. In the film, she didn't.
What do you think of The Fault In Our Stars movie? Feel free to leave your comments below!